SSTP is Microsofts Remote Access Solution (RAS) for PPP over SSL. It
can be used instead of PPTP or L2TP, and is only available with Windows
Vista/7 connecting to a Windows 2008 Server. The advantage of SSTP
compared to PPTP and L2TP is that it cannot be easily blocked by
firewalls since the traffic is transmitted over HTTPS on port 443.
Windows Vista/7 uses SSTP if PPTP or L2TP cannot be established. For
further information on
SSTP check out wikipedia's
article on Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol.
SSTP-Client is an SSTP client for Linux. It can be used to establish a
SSTP connection to a Windows 2008 Server. This software is similar
commandline and configuration as the pptp-client software.
- Connect to Microsoft RAS network using SSTP
- Use HTTPS with strong encryption over port 443
- Asynchronous HDLC frame support
- Integration with pon/poff with various distributions
It's pretty simple to integrate sstp-client into the Ubuntu / Debian
distribution distribution. An example script is provided in
- Specify your MSCHAP password in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
- Create a connect script in /etc/ppp/peers/sstp-test, similar to
the example provided in ./support. Swap out user-name as appropriate.
- Start the script using "pon".
sudo pon sstp-test
We still want to develop several more features of the sstp-client
project. The following is a list of desired features.
- SSTP Server Implementation
- Http Proxy support
- More configuration options
- iPhone, Android Integration
- Network Manager Integration
I need help with various features, please drop me an email if you have
some bandwidth to work on any of this.
Network Manager Plugin
RedHat and Ubuntu related distributions uses the NetworkManager gnome
tool to configure the network settings. It currently also supports
OpenVPN, PPTP and other protocols. If you feel like bein adventurous,
you can install the developer headers for your distribution related to
Network Manager project (quite a long list) then try to compile
network-manager-sstp from github. This project works with the latest
0.90 version of Netwok Manager.
You can get the sources from here:
To compile this on your favorite distribution make sure you have the
tools and headers available. This project depends on the PPP package,
sudo apt-get install ppp-dev
sudo apt-get install libevent-dev
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
Run ./configure --prefix=/usr, then make and sudo make install.
Background information on SSTP and configure SSTP on Windows 2008
Other important projects to mention:
- The pptp-client
software, this has much in
common with the SSTP protocol.
- MicroTik have a working server and client version in the router
software (as of March 2010).
- SSToPer is another SSTP client, but doesn't support Async HDLC
Developer related information and references